Conditions of Carriage - The Jumping Project @IGNITE! 2016
In the space of a square pit, a group of people negotiate the force of gravity within their bodies. The cavity of the pit resonates with the impact of bodies hurtling in and springing out. The stability of the square is challenged by an ever-moving central axis around which spirals of running bodies accumulate. The centre gives way to dispersion, chaos, reorder. Time becomes a marker pulling bodies into orbit. In relation to one another, individualities surface, giving way to a new sense of the body in the space.
"The origins of this project go back to my obsession with the functional body in contrast to the performative body. Jumping as a physicality is common to other bodily disciplines such as sport and martial arts, where the decorative element is stripped off to reveal a pure mechanics of the body. As actions, jumping and running affect the energy of the environment. You have only to make two people jump together to notice that they eventually fall into the rhythm and timing of one or the other. This quality of physical affect is something that I found profoundly moving – reminiscent of planets and their orbits.
Working out of SPACES, Chennai, in an open square pit, the idea of space as a changing entity became a preoccupation. Jumping activates the vertical axis. Patterns of jumping and running collide with the angularity of the space, often pouring out of the pit and sliding back in, creating levels through the terrain and the action. Bodies are at once powerful and vulnerable as they navigate their exhaustion. The visually dominant square invites a challenge to displace the idea of borders and limitations. Of seeing and being seen".
- Preethi Athreya
CAST + CREDITS
Performance: Devika S., Dipna Daryanani, Maithily Bhupatkar, Nidhi Misra, Prabu Mani, Pravin Kannanur, Preethi Athreya, Sekher Narayanan, Sruti Sriram, Vasanth Selvam
Concept/Choreography: Preethi Athreya
Training: Prabhakaran (Chennai Boxing Federation), Prabu Mani (Chennai Parkour Circle), Preethi Athreya
Music: Paul Jacob
Scenography: Hans Kaushik
Lighting: Pravin Kannanur, Bhaskar
Co-Production: India Foundation for the Arts, Alliance Francaise of Madras, SPACES.
Thanks to Sadanand Menon, SPACES and Kalakshetra Foundation
*PHOTO: Yannick Cormier
Terms & Conditions
- Please arrive at the venue at least 15 min before the specified performance time. If you are late, we will let in others who may be waiting in line.
- Seating on first come first seated basis.
- Once purchased, the passes are non-refundable, irrespective of attendance.
- The organizers reserve the right to deny entry to guests arriving after the performance begins.
- Please carry a print out or digital copy of your donor pass or registration to all events.
- Children below 12 years of age are not allowed.
- The festival venues are built to capacity. Management reserves the right to hold entry to certain areas within the festival to ensure a safe festival experience.
- No professional, SLR or DSLR cameras or recording (sound or video) equipment will be permitted in the venue.
- No drug use - consumption of narcotics is illegal and those found in possession of or consuming narcotics at the event will be handed over to police authorities.
- No liability claims of food, pollution and other consumption poisoning will be entertained.
- Parking near or at the show premises is at the risk of the vehicle owner.
- The holder of this ticket grants organizers the right to use, in perpetuity, all or any part of the recording of any video or still footage made of the holder and appearance on any channel or magazine for broadcast in any the all media globally and for advertising, publicity and promotions relating hereto.
- The organizers reserve the right without refund or other recourse, to refuse admission to anyone who is found to be in breach of these terms and conditions including, if necessary, ejecting the holder/s of the ticket from the venue after they have entered the ground.
- The programme is subject to change without prior notice.
- All contributions to The Gati Forum are exempt under section 80G of the Income Tax At 1961. Registration No. DEL-TE25619- 20102014/5652, PAN No. AABTT6472G